Monday, March 14, 2005

Bring Back Political Incorrectness

You know what TV show I miss? I didn't realize it until today, but I miss "Politically Incorrect" which is pretty strange to admit since I disliked host Bill Maher, who was too much of a smarmy, know-it-all. I think he parched the show with a too-far-gone slant just for the sake of controversy. But the political talk show did provide a curiously diverse forum for people from all walks of life. Any given night's episode could include an old white senator and a young black rapper in its panel. It was this sort of interaction between disparate conversationalists that made the show worth watching, no matter whether the participants became heated opponents in debate or turned into unlikely partners.

At the heart of it all was an engaging exchange of opinions, even if some of the opinions were blatantly silly or ignorant, though many were witty and articulate. On that same note, the show gave us a unique chance to find out whether some of these multimillionaire actors and critically acclaimed authors were as smart or stupid as they seemed. It was never quite as easy to make assumptions as I thought it'd be...

Unfortunately, "Politically Incorrect" was cancelled three years ago. I haven't come across another show like it, but I admit that I haven't been actively seeking substitutes in the time since. Are there any shows out there that keep its political free-for-all concept/ideal alive?

0 Comments:

Comment

<< Home