Friday, August 05, 2005

Cave Story = Addictive


A lot of times I'll pass by Philo on his computer playing some stupid Flash-based game that one of his friends has linked to him via AIM. He'll tell you that whenever I catch him, I'll complain vehemently. I mean, why did I buy a PS2 and a GameCube if he's just going to play these stupid, free games?

I've got no more ground to stand upon. I'm hooked on an indie freeware game called Doukutsu Monogatari which translates to Cave Story. Yeah, lousy title, I know. But the game's good, I swear. It's better than most of the trifle that gets put out on the GameBoy Advance. The structure reminds me of the Metroid series or Castlevania: Symphony of the Night if comparisons help to entice you. It's been so much fun I've even hooked up my dusty PC gamepad again. If only all free games were this good...

EDIT: What the...? Cave Story keeps crashing on me whenever I reach a specific point in the Labyrinth level. It appears to be a glitch in the latest revision of the game (1.0.0.6), so the only known solution is to revert back to an older version (1.0.0.5) as well as an accompanying, older version of the English translation patch. Not cool.

Go to http://maxdamage.justblank.net/cavestory.htm to download the older version with the translation patch, and simply copy your previous profile.dat file over to continue right where you left off in the Labyrinth.

REEDIT: That was certainly a prompt fix. A new version of the translation patch has already been uploaded to http://agtp.romhack.net/doukutsu.html. Cave Story version 1.0.0.6 works perfectly now. Thanks to Shih Tzu for the quick heads-up!

4 Comments:

At 8/06/2005 11:20:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous remarked...

The fixed patch was finally released today. You can get it at the site and copy "profile.dat" to keep your save. Sorry!

I wish Penny Arcade had waited a week to link it...

 
At 10/06/2005 09:30:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous remarked...

I've stumbled across your blog when I done some toy r us toy game research in Google. You're doing a pretty nice job
here, keep up the good work :-)

Sincerely,

Tosh
Webmaster/Publisher
toy r us toy game

 
At 10/15/2005 08:56:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous remarked...

Nice blog fella..

I have a pokemon emerald rom
site. It pretty much covers pokemon emerald rom
related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Catch ya l8rs homies..

 
At 11/03/2005 05:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous remarked...

Nice Blog about best home based business opportunity. I also have a Blog/Website about best home based business opportunity which is why I enjoyed this blog so much. Keep up the excellent work! Check out my site if you have a moment.

 

Comment

<< Home